Thursday 17 May 2012

Family favourite

Despite Heather saying she "doesn't like tomato", Chicken Parmagiana is a major hit in this house and in recent months (basically since we all started eating together regularly) I would say this has become our clear family favourite. By measuring out my breadcrumbs and using my HEA for my cheese (both Parmesan and mozzarella) I can bring this in at only 1 syn, and that syn is all in the breadcrumb. You could obviously use your B choice for this but for a few breadcrumbs, I would prefer to syn it. I work on 3 tbsp home dried breadcrumbs per chicken breast, which in this recipe is enough for two adults (or one mummy and two kiddies). I would agree this doesn't sound like a lot of chicken, and certainly the first time I made it I was worried we would be hungry but to be honest it genuinely is sufficient for even the hungriest tummy.

It's a classic Italian dish - I'm not claiming to have reinvented the wheel here. The first one I tried was on bbcgoodfood.com but now I make my own version. Here is my take on it:

Chicken Parmagiana - serves 2

Chicken:
1 chicken breast
3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs (1.5 syns)
40g Parmesan (2/3 of your EE allowance)
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper

Sauce:
Frylight
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Italian herbs or oregano
Pinch of chilli flakes
250ml passata
Salt and pepper
Worcestershire sauce
30g mozzarella cheese (the other 1/3 of your EE A choice)

200g fettuccine/linguine

1. Slice your chicken breast through the middle to give you 2 thin chicken breast. Cover with cling film and bash with a rolling pin to thin them out to about a £1 coin thickness.

2. Mix your Parmesan and crumbs, season well. Dip your chicken into the egg, then into the crumbs. Chill until required. When its time to cook them, put them under a preheated grill for a few minutes each side until cooked. This step can be done in advance.

3. Spray a grill safe frying pan with frilight and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the passata, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, chilli and seasoning, then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring until it is rich and thick.

4. Boil your pasta and 5 minutes before it is ready put your chicken into your tomato sauce (still in the frying pan), scatter with mozzarella and put under the grill until the cheese is melted and your sauce and chicken are piping hot.

5. Lift out the chicken and mix your pasta into your tomato sauce. Top with your cheesey chicken breast and serve sprinkled with extra Parmesan (don't forget to syn it!)

As you can see, my girls thoroughly enjoyed it! I hope you do too!


No comments:

Post a Comment