Wednesday 28 March 2012

Apples are not the only fruit

So tonight is weigh in. I've had a pretty good week. I was out for drinks for a friend's Hen night on Friday. I drank more than my syns allowed and I *might* have had some nachos too... And possibly a box of chips when I was waiting for a taxi.. And perhaps a can of Irn Bru. And maybe a sunshine ice cream on Saturday with the kids. That doesn't sound great does it? But i synned most of it and apart from that I've been really good, plus I've got back into my wii fit... Well, just about anyway.

We have also had good dinners, no more alcohol and most importantly I have made a conscious effort to eat less on Mondays and Tuesdays when I am at work because I really believe I eat too much at work. It's all good stuff, and it might well be free but I'm confident that portion control is key to Slimming World success. I don't eat much in the way of protein during the day during the rest of the week so my body feels sluggish after a heavy protein lunch on my work days.

I took a fruity couscous with spiced chicken into work on Monday which was absolutely gorgeous. I tossed some leftover chicken through the spices which made it economical too, something which is extra important right now. I actually found the recipe at www.weightwars.co.uk but I believe it's from a SW book. I made some changes according to what I had in the fridge. Here's the actual recipe:

Marinade for 4 large chicken breasts:
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp cayenne pepper
2tsp cumin seeds
2tbsp sweet paprika
2tbsp chopped parsley
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
Juice of 2 lemons
1 red onion, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper

Couscous:
200g couscous
1 red apple cored and diced
114g red and green grapes, halved
I large orange, chopped
2tbsp chopped coriander and mint

Method:
Score your chicken breasts. Mix the marinade together and rub well into your chicken. Leave to marinade up to overnight. Grill until cooked.

Cook the couscous according to packet instruction, stir in the fruit and serve with your chicken and herbs on top. Devour!

I made a couple of adjustments. Firstly, I was using leftover chicken so I cooked the marinade for a few minutes in a pan sprayed with fry light, then I tossed my shredded chicken through it. I also used my new love - pomegranate seeds instead of apple, mainly because I was packing for a lunch box but actually I think I'll stick with the pomegranate seeds. They are fresh and add a lovely sour crunch to the dish. This is a big hit for me and will become a work lunch staple. I hope my friends enjoy it as much next week when I take it in for their lunch (I'll let you know!).

Tonight is post weigh in Adana kebabs with pitta and sumac veggie kebabs.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment